The total worldwide PC monitor market shipped more than 30 million units in the second quarter of 2016 (2Q16), up 4.9% year over year and 4.6% quarter over quarter, according to the International Data Corporation (IDC) Worldwide Quarterly PC Monitor Tracker.
“The second quarter proved better than forecast overall, with the U.S., EMEA, and Canada markets recording solid year-over-year results. However, IDC expects the global monitor market will continue to decline at rates around 3% year over year from 2018 through 2020,” said Maura Fitzgerald, senior research analyst, Worldwide Trackers.
IDC currently forecasts 118 million PC monitor units will be shipped for the full year 2016 and expects to see a year-over-year decline of 12.7% in worldwide shipments to 26.7 million units in the second quarter of 2017. By 2020, worldwide shipments are expected to be less than 100 million units as the adoption of mobile devices at lower price points is expected to continue.
- Curved monitors continue to be on the rise, with 1.9% market share in 2Q16. This represents year-over-year growth of 221%.
- 21.5-inches wide and 19.5-inches wide segments continue to dominate the worldwide market, with 22.0% and 12.2% market share respectively in 2Q16. Of the top 10 screen sizes, 23.8-inches wide and 31.5-inches wide saw the largest year-over-year growth, posting 100.1% and 76.8%, respectively, in 2Q16.
- Monitors with TV tuners are expected to have 5.3% market share in 2Q17, up from 4.8% in 2Q16, led by LG and Samsung with a combined market share of 99.0% in this category.
- Dell – Dell stayed in the top position in 2Q16 with worldwide market share of 17.0% on shipments of more than 5.2 million units. The vendor posted strong year-over-year growth in Central & Eastern Europe (31.2%), Canada (25.5%), and Middle East & Africa (18.0%).
- HP – HP saw 4 million units shipped, resulting in 13% share in 2Q16. Year-over-year unit increases of 51.1% in the U.S. and 22.4% in Central & Eastern Europe helped bring the vendor a total year-over-year increase of 19.6%.
- Lenovo – Lenovo made significant gains, moving into the top 3 position with year-over-year growth of 2.7% to more than 3 million units shipped. Lenovo also posted significant quarter-over-quarter growth of 27.1%, with especially large growth in Central & Eastern Europe (114.5%) and Asia/Pacific (excluding Japan) (33.1%).
- Samsung – Samsung moved down to the number four position with nearly 3 million units shipped. The vendor saw a year-over-year decline in all regions except Central & Eastern Europe, and Canada.
- LG Electronics – LG rounded out the Top 5 in 2Q16 with 9.2% market share in the worldwide market. The vendor logged year-over-year gains across all regions except Middle East & Africa.
|Worldwide PC Monitor Unit Shipments, Market Share, and Year-over-Year Growth, Second Quarter 2016|
|2. HP Inc.||4,000,639||13.0%||3,343,622||11.4%||19.6%|
|5. LG Electronics||2,833,722||9.2%||2,564,196||8.8%||10.5%|
|Source: IDC Worldwide Quarterly PC Monitor Tracker, September 2016|
In addition to the table above, an interactive graphic illustrating the worldwide market share for the top 5 PC monitor vendors in 2Q16 and 2Q15 is available here. Instructions on how to embed this graphic into online news articles and social media can be found by viewing this press release on IDC.com.