The 8K Association (8KA), the cross-industry group dedicated to promoting the growth of the 8K ecosystem, has published an updated performance specification for the powerful 8K Association Certified mark program.
TV shoppers looking for televisions that offer four times the resolution available from 4K TVs and that meet the high-performance standards of the 8K Association Certified program will benefit from the new broader performance requirements applied to 8K TVs launching in the market starting this year.
In addition to the existing requirements for resolution, luminance, color and connectivity standards that ensure powerful big-screen performance, the 8K Association Certified logo program now recognizes a broader set of video decoding standards that will promote the wider availability of 8K streaming content. In addition, the updated requirements ensure that 8K TVs can enable access to advanced multi-dimensional surround sound formats for a truly immersive home theater experience.
“During this difficult time when a communal movie theater experience is not possible for many, the availability of big-screen TVs with super-sharp 8K resolution offers an alternative cinematic option at home,” said Dan Schinasi, Director of Product Planning at Samsung Electronics America. “With the 8K Association’s support to promote performance standards that include audio-video performance and interface standards, we expect that more homes will choose 8K TVs and more 8K content will be increasingly available in those homes in the year ahead, offering a safe and exceptional home theater experience.”
In addition to the 8KA’s updated performance standard for TVs, the organization expects to promote the growth of the 8K ecosystem in the year ahead with a focus on educating video content creators on the benefits of capturing, finishing and distributing video in 8K resolution.
Established just 2 years ago, the 8K Association has grown to encompass a broad membership of leading companies that represent all parts of the 8K ecosystem. From 8K content creators and technology suppliers that enable 8K content creation to display semiconductor makers, panel manufacturers and the world’s biggest TV brands – 8KA member companies are at the forefront of delivering the most impressive images from lens to living room.
Eight fun facts about 8K and the 8KA:
- Number of pixels in an 8K resolution display: >33 million
- Global TV sales share in the first 3 quarters of 2020 by 8KA member TV brands: >50% *
- Global 8K TV shipment growth in the first 3 quarters of 2020 over the previous year: >100% **
- Percent of major game console makers that launched 8K capable consoles in 2020: 100%
- Supported throughput speed of Ultra High Speed HDMI cables that are needed to deliver 8K resolution to 8K Association Certified TVs: 48Gbps
- Number of audio channels available in the 8K broadcast service launched by Japanese broadcaster NHK starting in 2018: 22.2 audio channels
- Number of years from the time when top global regions TV market share of 4K resolution TVs 50 inches and larger represented <1% market share to the time when it represented 100% market share: 6 years ***
- Number of years from the time when global TV market share of 8K resolution TVs 65 inches and larger represented <1% market share to the time when it will represent 100% market share: the 8KA is working on it….
* source: 8KA analysis of global TV shipments Q1 ’20 – Q3 ‘20
** source: 8KA analysis of global 8K TV shipments Q1 ’20 – Q3 ’20 vs. Q1 ’19 – Q3 ‘19
*** source: 8KA analysis of US and EU TV sales from 2013 to 2019
ABOUT THE 8K ASSOCIATION
The organization’s mission is to grow appreciation and awareness of 8K products which will provide an even higher level of large screen entertainment. Our activities include development performance and interface specifications, compliance logo programs, education and coordination with 8K ecosystem developers to help build the 8K market. The 8K Association is composed of 27 member companies who represent global leadership in consumer electronics, display manufacturing, ingredient technology providers as well as content and distribution.