Automotive Displays – Hyundai is doing the unthinkable at the 2015 Consumer Electronics Show (CES®) by showing a new Display Audio system with no CD player or embedded navigation system.
Display Audio is a high resolution seven-inch color touch-screen display that has been optimized specifically for enhanced smartphone integrations and the latest generation Blue Link system. iPhone owners can use Apple CarPlay to take the familiar features from their iPhones and put them right on the touch-screen display while driving. Android Auto brings the Android experience into the car by ‘projecting’ apps and services into the Display Audio system. Android Auto is designed to make driving safer and easier by providing the information drivers need when they’re on the road.
Display Audio launches on select 2016 Hyundai models and will quickly become Hyundai’s volume head unit. Hyundai will eventually bring the new infotainment system to all of its entry-level models in order to provide the best streaming multimedia and ownership experience possible. Display Audio combines the best of phone-based connectivity technologies with Blue Link, which provides features that are that are only possible with an embedded telematics system such as remote engine start and automatic collision notification. Hyundai’s exhibit (North Hall, booth #2818) at CES will be open Jan. 6-9, 2015.
“Hyundai will offer more technology than ever before inside affordable Hyundai models, allowing owners not only to text message through voice commands and stream their favorite music apps, but also to make calls in a safer way, and navigate using phone-based, off-board navigation through the car’s screen and controls,” said Cason Grover, senior group manager, cross-carline planning, Hyundai Motor America. “As affordable car buyers are often younger, Hyundai aims to provide what they want most in their car – all the latest smartphone-enabled technologies at a lower price.”
The Display Audio system brings the newest smartphone integrations into Hyundai vehicles using an easy-to-access USB port. Once the connection is made, users can access their smartphone for phone calls and contacts, music, navigation, messaging, and optimized third-party apps. Display Audio will have navigation capability through smartphone integrations and will also offer entertainment apps for music, news, sports, and Podcasts. Apple CarPlay offers third-party audio app support, such as Beats Music, iHeart Radio, MLB At Bat, Spotify, Stitcher, CBS Radio News and Podcasts, among others. Android Auto’s initial app roster includes iHeart Radio, MLB At Bat, Spotify, SoundCloud, Pandora, TextMe and WhatsApp. Each partner plans to add additional third-party apps in the future and these will not require any vehicle software updates.
The Display Audio system will also incorporate Hyundai’s latest and most innovative in-vehicle technology by offering a simple, multi-use home screen, HD Radio® capability and mixed AM, FM and SiriusXM presets.
Additional Display Audio infotainment system features:
- Integration with Apple’s Siri-powered “Eyes Free” mode
- Functionality allows owners of compatible vehicles to use the voice command button on the steering wheel to ask Siri questions without taking their eyes off the road
- Siri Eyes Free supports making calls, selecting and playing music, composing and reading back test messages, using Maps and getting directions, reading notifications, finding calendar information, adding reminders, among other functions
- Integration with Google’s voice actions and predictive Google Now functionality
- Functionality brings drivers relevant information like local weather, upcoming appointments and current traffic conditions
- Pandora integration with smartphone
- SiriusXM Satellite Radio with enhanced features
- Pause, back and play for current station
- Automatic recording of top six presets
- SiriusXM Traffic and Travel Link
- Traffic flow data in major markets, 24/7 traffic incidents and alerts
- Sports scores and schedules, stock ticker, movie times, fuel prices and weather/alerts
- Advanced voice recognition
- Swipe technology
- Music, video and picture storage
- New home screen with multiple functions